Frequently Asked Questions on Refrigerants:

← F.A.Q.s


There are numerous places to purchase R410a refrigerant online or through distributors. Before you consider purchasing and start looking at all of the available sources it is best to ask yourself one question: How many cylinders of R-410A am I going to purchase? If you are just looking to purchase one to two cylinders at a time then I would recommend shopping online through E-Commerce websites such like Ebay. If you are looking to purchase multiple cylinders at a time then I would suggest visiting our bulk refrigerant page to fill out information for a quote.

If you are looking for one or two cylinders then I recommend Ebay over other E-Commerce sites. Reason being is that  Ebay is customer friendly and seller conspicuous. If something goes wrong it is on the seller to fix the problem. If they can’t fix it guess what? You get your money back. They are all about customer service. So, if you’re not happy then they are not happy. Who knows what will happen when you order from a no name site. Your order could not ship out, wrong product shipped, or you could get the cylinder only to find out it is empty and there is no refrigerant inside. (I’ve seen it happen!)

If you are looking to purchase ten, twenty, or even forty cylinders of R410A then I would recommend visiting our Bulk Purchasing page and filling out a bulk order request form. Once we received the completed notification we will send out an alert to our contacts in the refrigerant distribution industry. Our distributors will then contact you with the most competitive price that they can offer and it will be up to you on which supplier to go with. This service provides you with competitive real time costs as well as giving you a number of highly rated suppliers to choose from.

One thing to note is that with some refrigerants you need to either be 608 or 609 Environmental Protection Agency certified in order to purchase. With R-410A, since it is an HFC refrigerant, you DO need to be certified in order to purchase or handle. This changed as of January 1st, 2018. Before then you could buy without a license as of today you will need to be certified.

Again, if you are a purchaser looking to buy in bulk quantities such as five, ten, or more cylinders then please visit our bulk purchasing page to receive a quote.

0 Comments - Leave a Comment

As of January 1st, 2018 you will need a section 608 type 2 certification with the Environmental Protection Agency. This was changed due to the high Global Warming Potential that 410A has. It is known as a ‘supergas’ and contributes highly to Global Warming. For more information on how to obtain a 608 license click this link to be taken to our refrigerant licensing guide.

Thanks for reading,

Alec Johnson


0 Comments - Leave a Comment

R-410A refrigerant was invented and patented by Honeywell in 1991. Carrier Corporation was the first company to introduce R-410A air conditioning unit the residential market in 1996 and they hold the trademark name ‘Puron.’ 410A is classified as an HFC refrigerant and does not contain Chlorine and is not harmful to the O-Zone.

R-410A replaced R-22 as the main refrigerant for residential and commercial AC units, freezers, and refrigerators. As of 2010 no new AC machines can be manufactured using R-22 , all future machines have to use R-410A . R-410A has a HUGE opportunity and is the short term is the future of home and commercial applications.

That being said, 410A is an HFC refrigerant and thusly has a high global warming potential. 134a, a cousin of 410A, is being banned across countries due to it’s high global warming potential. I feel that it is only a matter of time before 410A is phased out as well. HFO refrigerants will be the future.

0 Comments - Leave a Comment

Yes! With past refrigerants such as R-12 and R-22 you needed to be licensed to handle the refrigerant as they caused damage to the O-Zone layer and a laymen could inadvertently cause a leak of the cylinder.

R-134A, R-404A, and R-410A are HFC refrigerants which do NOT cause damage to the O-Zone layer but they do have extremely high greenhouse gas emissions. While you can still purchase them today it is important to note that as of January 1st, 2018 you WILL need to be certified to purchase HFC refrigerants such as 410A, 134a, and 404A. Click the link on the bottom of the article for the exact wording from the EPA’s website.

EPA’s website on 608 and 609 sales restriction.

0 Comments - Leave a Comment

Yes. Because of the higher pressure, you should use manifold gauge sets designed for R-410A. In addition, you should use a recovery machine and recovery tanks designed for the higher pressure of R-410A.

0 Comments - Leave a Comment

← F.A.Q.s