Do You Need a License to Buy 1234yf

This one is a bit tricky. The short answer is that today, in 2018, yes you need to be 609 certified with the Environmental Protection Agency. If we travel back in time to before 2018 then no, you did not need a license to purchase 1234yf cylinders. However, as of January 1st, 2018 you WILL need to be certified to purchase HFC refrigerants such as 410A, 134a, 404A, 12324yf. Click this link for the exact wording from the EPA’s website.

It should be noted that there are some exceptions to this rule. The first is that if you provide a signed document with your address, phone, and business stating that you will resell the 1234yf product and that you will not use it then you can still purchase. This is known as a certificate of resale. Please note that if you go this route then the burden will be on you and your company to gather customer’s 609 certification numbers.

The other work around is that you are still able to purchase 1234yf cans that come in under two pounds. So, while you can’t get your ten pound cylinders anymore you can still get the product just in a much smaller quantity. I usually recommend purchasing these cans from our Amazon partner. For example Amazon’s Air Conditioner R1234YF Refrigerant, AC Recharge Kit.

Please note that these rules are not meant to punish anyone. In fact, they are meant to keep large quantities of refrigerant out of the hands of novices. If used incorrectly and refrigerant is vented into the atmosphere then you could be actively harming the climate and the environment. These rules and regulations are meant to protect the environment.

Thanks for reading,

Alec Johnson


Category: 1234YF

← F.A.Q.s