How do I Become Certified to Handle Refrigerants?

In order to be qualified to handle refrigerants you need to pass a test by the Environmental Protection Agency on either 608 or 609 certification.

There are different types of certifications to consider as well:

  • 608 Type I Certification – Can only work on Small Appliance (5lbs or less of refrigerant)
  • 608 Type II Certification – Can only work on Medium, High and Very-High Pressure Appliances.
  • 608 Type III Certification – Can only work on Low-Pressure Appliances.
  • 608 Core Certification – This is needed in order to achieve any type of certification rather it be section 1, 2, or 3.
  • Universal Certification – Someone who possesses Type I, Type II and Type III Certifications as well as the Core Certification.
  • 609 Certification – This is needed to work on automobile applications.