Are Dehumidifiers Worth the Money?

Excess moisture in your home, your basement, or in a specific room can cause a whole host of problems. These problems could be made much worse if you or someone in your family suffer from allergies or asthma. A moist environment can lead to the growth of dust mites, fungi, and mold. These allergens are not only unhealthy but can also lead to rather extreme symptoms including shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.

As far as if dehumidifiers are worth the money I first need you to answer a few questions for me. What is your reason for purchasing a dehumidifier? Is it that your basement has a somewhat damp or mildewy smell to it? If that is the ONLY reason that you wish to purchase a dehumidifier then I would say that you cold hold off for a while. It is not an emergency that you use a dehumidifier.

However, if in that same basement you are seeing signs of water droplets forming on the inside of the windows, or even on the walls, then you have a larger problem. That problem can be magnified if you have areas of standing water forming in your basement. This is prime territory for mold and other allergens to begin growing. Even if you aren’t necessarily allergic to these contagions it is definitely worth the money to invest in a dehumidifier. Mold can lead to a host of short term and long term health problems. So, while you may feel fine today you may experience long term affects after living in the residence for multiple years.

Spending a few hundred dollars on a dehumidifier may just be the solution for you. It resolves the moisture problem and prevents these allergens from taking hold. That being said though, keep in mind that dehumidifiers treat the symptoms and do not cure the disease. In other words, if you are routinely having standing water in your basement then there is most likely another issue for this water. It could be faulty windows, it could be your drainage line from your air conditioner is clogged, it could be a crack in your foundation. In my old house we had a small gap between the foundation and the frame of the house. This caused water to leak in during bad rain storms.

The point I’m making here though folks is that while a dehumidifier will get rid of your moisture and water problem it will not fix the overall problem. So, if you are getting water in your basement over and over again then I suggest you look further into that. You will still need a dehumidifier but you should also take the time to fix the overall problem.

If you don’t have the money to fix the problem though then I suggest you invest in a dehumidifier. It will at least put a stop to future allergens and give you time to figure out the real problem at hand. In order to understand why size and what type of dehumidifier you need please visit our buyer’s guide.